Saturday, May 26, 2012

You're Not Gonna Get Docta Doom????

I had some of my family over earlier today.  We always have a great time.  We took a walk down the street to this comic book store called Meltdown.  There are very few of these stores left.  It's quite depressing actually.  The ones that remain are big and well put together, they are still run and employed with the most annoying people in the world.  This is not a put down, this is just the fact that these people talk the most nonsense and are always super loud so you know, they know more than you. 

I think of myself of having a vault of useless information, but when you overhear them comparing Hank Pym (Antman) with Chris Brown (apparently Hank Pym, like Chris Brown beat his girlfriend and that's a thing that no matter what he does, he can't shake off from being remembered for...Yes, this was the conversation I just heard) my vault of dumb information runneth half full.  The comic geek beats me hands down.

In New York in the 80's, I would go to stores like The Batcave on MacDougal street to buy my comics, I would go to conventions (they always smelled) and had, really, no problem following a series and a storyline.  Back then, all the stationary stores and magazine stands by the bus stop carried them as well, so it was easy to keep up.  I could read Daredevil, X-Men, Spiderman, The Flash, etc and it was real simple.

Walking through Meltdown, I had no idea where to even start.  There were so many comics that even if I decided to start now, I would be out an easy $500.00 out the door.  So, after a couple walkthrough, I decided to not even bother, but to see where the current books are compared to the old days.

Well, everyone has changed.  The appearance and what I knew is now gone.  This was proven with two books alone.  Classic "comic"characters.  Archie and Richie Rich.  I'm not going to even try to describe the difference, but show you...by the way, Archie Meets Kiss.  Why is Archie meeting Kiss?


I know the writing is great these days and the stories have moved to be relevant to real life.

I actually applaud Archie comics for standing up for Gay characters and welcoming them into Riverdale as well as addressing the Occupy Wall Street movement.  It was a bold and brave move.  My favorite thing was the outrage by Christian retards and how the CEO of Archie Comics responded,  “As I’ve said before, Riverdale is a safe, welcoming place that does not judge anyone. It’s an idealized version of America that will hopefully become reality someday. ... Kevin Keller will forever be a part of Riverdale, and he will live a happy, long life free of prejudice, hate, and narrow-minded people.”

The X-Men just took on gay marriage (much respect to Marvel)

As far as current comics go, I think I just need someone to guide me through where to start and what's great.  I saw tons of graphic novels, so maybe that's the solution.  I just know my "collecting" days are way gone.

On of my fondest memories comic related and I still laugh about this day, was back when I used to collect action figures (dolls, if you want to be a dick about it), and my friend Benjie and I were at the Toys R' Us in Union Square.  We were just minding our own business browsing.  Benjie picked up a pretty cool Dr. Doom action figure and was contemplating buying it.  He decided not to and carefully placed the action figure back on the shelf when this fat, smelly guy with glasses came running down the aisle yelling (and i mean yelling) "YOUR NOT GONNA GET DOCTA DOOM????" I have never seen Benjie jump quicker to kung fu stance in my life.  If you saw this guy, you would have too!

Let's just say that was a real reality check.  I may have ceased my collecting after that day.


1 comment:

  1. Just buy all the Walking Dead tpb's, those are the only comics you need.

    ReplyDelete