Tuesday, May 29, 2012

One Night in Vegas...with Hepcat and some payasos

I had the pleasure of spending one night in Vegas working with one of my favorite bands, Hepcat.  I first heard Hepcat in the early 90's while living in NY.  Their debut album Out of Nowhere came out on Moon Records and was one of those records that just leaves you in awe.

Years later, I would marry the person who had been managing Hepcat for years.  So, by association I became part of that family.

Hepcat went on to record 3 more albums, tour the world and then take a long (of a few) hiatus.  The beauty of a hiatus is that you can really start to miss a group, so when they return, It's special.  Some bands never take the time off and burn themselves out, ruin all they worked for by making bad decisions and just losing that special element.  Bands like Fishbone continuing without the original members that made them Fishbone was a mistake.  I get it.  It's their livelihood, but at who's expense?  The brand?  the audience?  it's such a hard thing to criticize and hard to understand.  Everyone has their own reasons and opinions.

Back to Hepcat and Las Vegas.  After another 2 year hiatus, the band came back to perform at an event called Punk Rock Bowling.  I didn't see any bowling, but I know it was happening.  I did see some punk rock.  Rancid headlined and always deliver, Cockney Rejects performed and were great as well. I heard them the 1st time on the compilation called Oi The Album in 1981.  The songs are still great.

I saw a lot of new punks with their hot topic clothes and their very well manicured hairstyles (and IPhone), I also saw the old punks that really shouldn't look that way anymore, but maybe dust off the old tshirt, old jacket and relive the old days.  I have to say, myself and Hepcat aged the best.  We can all wear the same kind of clothes and not look like "Payasos".

Having a traditional ska and rock steady group in the middle of a bunch of punk bands was a true example of how the scene was back in the good old days.  I don't think the new bands would get it as much today.

The other observation I had was how the hierarchy of punk still exists.  Who gets on stage to watch and where is still such an important status symbol.  I hate to say it, but the best view and sound is still from the floor.  I never understood why everyone was so hell bent of standing behind the drums.  You can't hear shit and you really can't see the show itself.

I was on stage for Hepcat, because I had to be.  Here's some video from where I stood.  oh the sound is awesome (sarcasm)!




I hope to see more Hepcat shows in the future.  These guys are all class.  Thanks for letting me be part of the family.


1 comment: