Friday, May 18, 2012

I Love New York

I had the honor of growing up in NYC.  When I say growing up, I mean, I lived on the east side my entire life.  I went to kindergarten, grammar school, Jr. High, High School and College in New York. 

I am a New Yorker.

I live in Los Angeles now.  I have been here for 13 years.  The time has flown by.  I consider myself a New Yorker that lives in Los Angeles.  I like LA.  There are tons of benefits and I have something I never thought I would have.  A house and space.

Being that I have 2 boys now, I would love nothing more than to raise them in the city that made me who I am.  But, New York isn't the city I grew up in anymore.  I don't even know where I could afford to live.  I hope to have them spend a lot of time there when they get older.  New York is in my heart and I would love for my boys to have the same connection to the best city in the world.

I used to go back home minimum of 3 times a year.  Since becoming self employed, It's been 18 months since my last visit.  This is the longest I ever for me.  It's painful.

I recently bought this contraption to crate jpgs from my negatives and slides.  I found many photos, but these 3 stuck out to me.  The view I grew up in was of the Manhattan skyline.  My bedroom view was the World Trade Center.  I looked at these buildings my whole life growing up.  The World Trade Center were my trees in my backyard.  I actually have a palm tree in my back yard now, but those towers were my trees in my urban jungle.




 
On September 11th, I was in my house in Hollywood.  I have never had more guilt for not being home.  The tragedy that I witnessed on my TV made me feel like empty and so far away.

New Yorkers are the strongest people in the world. 

I Love You New York



No comments:

Post a Comment