Friday, May 18, 2012

Dee Dee Ramone

The Ramones could actually be my favorite band of all time.  I actually can say that I have listened to at least one song by them everyday since I was 12.  My ringtone on my IPhone is Pinhead.

The death of Joey, Dee Dee and Johnny were huge blows to me.  After seeing all their "farewell" tours, there was no reunions coming after that...

I recently finished the book Lobotomy Surviving The Ramones by Dee Dee Ramone and laughed my ass off.  Me and my friend Johnny laugh about quotes and excepts from the book daily.  Trust me, could be the worst written book ever and a really fast read.  Catcher in the Rye, it is not...



Dee Dee was a tragic hero.  He was a great songwriter and even more an amazing character.   The book is filled with stories about his childhood, forming The Ramones, touring, girlfriends, drugs, getting sober, drugs and a great forward by Legs McNeil.  I could do a review, but it's such an easy and interesting read, I would rather just tell you to go buy it on Amazon...

Here are some classic Dee Dee moments, both musically and personality...

                             
                           Classic Performance in The Living Room of Arturo Vega in 1975

                                                     
                                                   Dee Dee Telling Them How It Is


Warthog - The Song That Everyone wanted to hear after he quit The Ramones
                              
Dee Dee As A Vietnam Vet in Indie Film "What About Me" 
                                               -Johnny Thunders Died That Same Day
                       
                       "I'll take this bottle so I'll Know what to get, defiantly the good brand"

I love this guy.  I used to see him crossing Hollywood Blvd and I would always lower my window  and yell "yo Dee Dee".  He would wave in the air not knowing where it was coming from.             

I miss that. 

 RIP Dee Dee.


No comments:

Post a Comment