Friday, May 18, 2012

Headphones = Sanity

One of the first things I learned about being a stay at home dad, was time management.  When I say time management, I mean not totally losing your mind while doing tedious and time consuming chores.

The one thing I discovered (which isn't rocket science, but is a life saver) to assist this, is the headphones for an IPhone or whatever smart phone you have.  Oh, you must have a smart phone.  The reason I say this, is because, with the headphones, you can listen to music, talk on the phone, hear when an email comes in and have access to time wasters that are necessary for some sort of social life like Facebook or Twitter.  For me, the MLB app is a lifesaver during baseball season as well as SiriusXM app. If you take time to talk on the phone, you will not fold that laundry, cook or change a diaper or it will take twice as long.  Anything to just get it done while actually entertaining yourself at the same time.

The key to the headphones is to have your phone in your front pocket and slip the headphones under your shirt up to your ears.  This relieves 2 very common and important issues.

1. you won't lose them (I say this, as I have lost 3 sets in the last 6 months due to not following my own advice)

2. your kids won't pull them and break them

Now, i know the thought of walking around with headphones in your ears sounds and looks like you are ignoring your kids, but that's what the volume is for.  You won't miss calls and when you aren't on the phone, you can listen to something.  Trust me, this little thing will make your life easier.

For me the headphones are most important around my kids because of the amount of hours I spend listening to Howard Stern.

My friend Johnny has a shitty flip phone with no headphones.  I've been telling him for a year to do this.  Guess who gets yelled at when all the stuff isn't done!


1 comment: