Friday, May 25, 2012

It's a Smilin' Saturday Morning

In the 70's (and the 80's), Saturday Morning Cartoons were a special block of time dedicated to kids. 

These days, I think it's mostly crappy news shows and you can hardly find a cartoon.  Not that kids should be plopped in front of the TV, but there was nothing wrong with having "our time" on Saturdays. 

The shows were a lot more fun and were geared to age groups.  Today, you need to watch Nick Jr for preschool programming, Nick for grammar school and TeenNick for more mature kids...of course there is Nick at Nite for us old folks. 

If it wasn't for Nickelodeon, there would be very little for kids to watch.  I'm not just saying that because I almost got a job there.  Missed it by that much.  I would still love to work there at some point in my career, it's true.  I love their shows.  As a dad, they are a relief.


But, back to the 70's and 80's.  All the networks focused on Saturday Morning TV.  You would see ads in comic books, their would be previews and the shows would be featured in scholastic magazines like Bananas.  There were shows like Battle of the Network Stars, Happy Days, Wonderama and School House Rock...


 Every year on the eve of the debut of the the new Saturday Morning line up, there would be a sneak preview on prime time.  I remember how much I couldn't wait for this.  I was looking for a particular show I loved that very few recall called Kids from C.A.P.E.R. and came upon the 1976 preview.  I wonder how high Freddie Prinze was.



I had just moved back with my family from 2 years living in Pakistan.  This was amazing to me.  For the last two years, I had no TV and my only connection to the US was comic books (that were 6 months behind) and the Sunday comics we would get from the US newspaper.  I have no idea what paper or if this is true...i might be making that part up, but it sounds right.


Watching these clips, took me back to the excitement of being able to watch these shows for the first time and only time.  No VCR, no Tivo... You watched it and it was over.  You would then spend the rest of the week at school talking about what you saw with your friends.

These days, I hate to wait for anything, but I wish the anticipation and excitement still could be achieved.  It was a special feeling.








No comments:

Post a Comment