Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Drips and Rolls

Age is a hell of a thing.

I'll never forget 5-6 years ago, I was talking to my friend Bob.  Bob is older than me and when I turned 38 or so, we were talking about getting older.  He told me this thing that stuck with me.

He said "Man, you have no idea what's coming.  When you are in your 40's, you are going to go to the bathroom and when you think you are done and pull your pants up, you'll realize you weren't really done."

It really stuck with me, because I thought:

A. It was hilarious
B. He's just sloppy.

When I turned 40, it was like a switch was tuned on and all of the sudden I was Bob.  I called him immediately and cursed him out.  He laughed at me.

The other thing after 40 is the slowing of ones metabolism.  It ain't easy (or possible) to get rid of that little roll in your middle...

Now, you can either go one way or the other.  The beauty of being an adult is you can make that choice and be happy either way. 

I love food.  But I also like feeling healthy all the time.  Chasing 2 kids around can wear you down, so I have to keep myself in good enough shape so I don't pass out.  Also, with family issues that are hereditary, I figure it's up to me to do what I can to prevent anything or at least delay it.

It's a struggle, but I found a few things that help.

1. My Green Juice in the am
2. Exercise.  I run every weekday, surf every weekend
3. The App on the iPhone called Lose It
4. Brush my teeth and floss every night at 9pm to prevent from eating (you gotta try something!)

This Lose It app is great.  It can either help you lose weight of just maintain a daily count of intake so you are aware of what you are actually eating.  Also, if you keep an eye on what you are taking in and exercising, you can work it to eat whatever you want! 

Truth is, weight is on you and you alone.  You aren't forced to eat, you chose to eat what you eat and how much.  So this app keeps me alert to what's going in and how it's going to effect me.



Age is a motherfucker.



No comments:

Post a Comment