Friday, June 1, 2012

Gabba Gabba Hey

I may have said this before, The Ramones are my favorite band of all time.

There isn't a band/artist I listen to more.

When 3 of the 5 original members died, I couldn't have been sadder.  Joe Strummer came a close 2nd to breaking my heart.  I look back at moments when I could have said something to any of them (Dee Dee lived near me in Hollywood and I would see him all the time), Joey, I would walk by or see at shows in NYC and Johnny, who I recall sitting next to me at a restaurant long after they broke up in Los Angeles.  But, one of my issues in life (and my career), is that I'm a fan first and get super scared and intimidated when I'm in the same room as people I admire.

I just spent the evening watching End Of The Century - The Story of The Ramones for the 8th time.  Every time I watch this brilliant documentary, I get sad all over again.  Sad from the story itself, sad that they are gone and never to play again and sad that I never said the things I wanted to say when the opportunity presented itself.



The words that were written in their huge catalogue and the melody and most important, the influence they had just kills me.  This happens so often when pioneers and talented people that are responsible for a sound, for an emotion from the listener, never gets it's due.  The Ramones, Fishbone, Bad BrainsSchooly D, the list goes on.  It's so frustrating to me.  I can only imagine how it feels for those artists.

I hope one day to have an opportunity to tribute The Ramones and let people see these songs and these performances for the beauty and genius they brought to rock and roll.

Until then, we have the catalogue, the DVDs, T-Shirts, the bootlegs and the books...

Thanks Joey, Dee Dee, Johnny, Tommy and Marky for giving everyday of my life a soundtrack.

I miss you.

Here's the whole film for your viewing pleasure.



No comments:

Post a Comment