Saturday, June 2, 2012

And then it just becomes an industry of... cool.

I was doing my normal surfing the web stuff checking out new bands and seeing if anything would blow my mind.  I have been lead down the bad path my entire career.  People that know me, know that there are buzz words that get me excited.  When I read reviews, and I see some of those words, I'm quick to jump and give it a shot.

Back, pre MP3's or even as that whole world was just starting up, a lot of indie bands and unknowns were not easy to find, so that's when I would go to the local record store and find it or even ask them to order it for me.  I can't tell you how many times I threw Cd's out my window so bummed that I got sold a bill of bullshit.  There are some writers that I actually like.  Cameron Crowe, Robert Christgau, Jon Parales, Toure...I was too young to have been around for Lester Bangs, but I'm sure I would have loved him.  I'm also sure he would have annoyed me too.  But writers like these examples always write (or wrote) from a standpoint of merit, not what's cool.  I don't want to listen to music because you are supposed to, I want to listen because it matters and is good.

The one that stands out to me this day (and I still think are bullshit) was The Gossip.  I read some review in maximum rock and roll or some magazine like that, that said they were a modern take on the garage band of whatever.  I wish I remembered who wrote that review, so I could kick him in the ass.  Years later, I would see NME and Perez Hilton, praising Beth Ditto as some rock goddess... I stared to question NME from that day on... Perez Hilton, well, he's the last person I'm going to follow when it comes to music recommendations.

The London Souls

Anyway... I was looking and came across a band from NY, I had never heard of called The London Souls.  The place I got the tip from didn't compare them, but mentioned bands like Cream, Led Zeppelin as similar artists.  This was exciting.  With the wonders of the Internet, I was able to find their album on Spotify

It was easy and didn't cost me a dime, but I must say, It took away a lot of the discovery process I used to love. 

Back to the band.  I listened with such high hopes and was once again disappointed.  I didn't dislike it, I think I was just hoping for so much more.  The vibes were all there, I liked where they were going, but it always comes down to the song.  They unfortunately had none. I was actually hoping this post would be a praise of the band, but it became more of a thought about how no matter what the medium (press or blogs), I have to learn once and for all, not to listen to reviews. 

I'm sure a lot of people hate my opinions and recommendations, so perhaps someone has the same rant based on something I suggested. 

Fast forward to the following day.  Again, I have never heard of The London Souls in my life.  All of the sudden, I'm reading another post somewhere and there is a post about the band.  Unfortunately, It wasn't about new songs or a tour, but the singer Tash Neal was in intensive care after a hit and run incident in NYC. 

I have a lot of hopes for the band, I just don't think they are there yet.

I hope everything turns out OK for Tash and he has a speedy recovery to get back to it!  I'm pulling for you my man.




 


1 comment:

  1. Just love your article.I do invariably look over your web site for brand new articles.I am recently performing on associate app descargar spotify premium apk 2018
    thats going awing and special because of you

    ReplyDelete