Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chili Con Carne

Ever since I was a little kid growing up in NY... One meal that I always loved was the Chili my dad would make.  I remember him getting up super early and starting it up and letting it cook for a long time.  We would eat it that night and it was great as a left over.  Chili actually tastes better the 2nd day.  No idea why.  Maybe it's just me.  Oh and as I got older, the last thing you wanted to smell first thing int he morning when you had a hangover, was his chili... just a side note from my memories.

As I became a dad, I wanted to share this fine recipe and meal with my boys.  Of course, they won't eat it.  So much for tradition.  My wife loves it and we really can have it a few times during the week and is always easy to reheat.

I wish I could say the recipe was some magical family one, handed down from generation to generation... but it's really just from the New York Times cookbook. 

I actually called my dad a couple years ago to get "the secret recipe".  That's when the balloon was burst.  NY Times.  Anyway... It's awesome.

Ingredients:





3 Tablespoons of Butter or Olive Oil
1 Large Onion
2 Garlic cloves, minced



1 pound chopped beef (I use turkey)
1 1/3 cups of canned or diced tomatoes with the juice (that's equal to one 14.5 oz can)
1 green pepper, minced
1 cup water

2 tablespoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon basil
1 small bay leaf


 1 can of kidney beans (drain the liquid before using or else it makes it gross and sweet)


Directions:

So the most important thing I learned was to prep.  Meaning get everything in order before you start.  That way, you aren't cursing looking for stuff while something is cooking, etc.  If you have everything ready, once you start, it's just about adding.  Also makes it easy to clean after.



1. Mince the onion and garlic cloves and place in a dish.  Mince the green pepper (I like to drain some of the juice so it's not too watery) and mix all your spices into a bowl and set aside.

2. Heat the butter or oil in a large pot.  Add the onions and garlic and saute until golden brown.  While this is happening and you are stirring the onions and garlic so they don't burn.  In a separate pan, place your meat and brown it.



 3. Once both are nice and browned, add the meat to the onion and garlic and mix them well.



4.  Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil.  Once it's boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 3 hours or until the sauce is as thick as you desire it to be.




 5. After 3 hours or when you are satisfied with the thickness of the chili, add the can of kidney beans and cook through (about an additional 10-15 minutes on simmer.



 6. That's it.  Serve and eat with chips or plain.  The total time this takes is about 3 hours and 15 minutes to 3 and a half hours.  The prep itself is about 15 minutes, the rest is waiting.  Your house will smell awesome and like I said, the meal is great on day two.  If you have to make more, just double the ingredients.  It never goes wrong.





1 comment:

  1. I've made this same recipe for years, and haven't found one I liked better. It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete